Monday, August 08, 2005

somniferous: Dictionary.com Word of the Day

I signed up to receive the word of the day over a year ago, and I have never made an attempt to actually use them. Feel free to try it as well.

Word of the Day for Monday August 8, 2005
somniferous \som-NIF-uhr-uhs\, adjective:
Causing or inducing sleep.

Somniferous comes from Latin somnifer, "sleep-bringing," from
somnus, "sleep" + ferre, "to bring."


Since I never paid attention to the somniferous lectures in my accounting classes, I find the financial reports I must complete during work are quite difficult.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Although I haven't signed up to receive any of those, I noticed one on the Merriam-Webster site as word of the day. It was moxie. (Pronunciation: 'mäk-sE
Function: noun
Etymology: from Moxie, a trademark for a soft drink
1 : Energy, pep
2 : Courage, determination
3 : Know-how, expertise )
I think it's a cool word -- very 1940s black and white movie.

- Dan

The Judge said...

zzzzzzzzzzzz **wha?

*snrk*

Beckie

Unknown said...

I was going to come up with a good use of the word somniferous, but I could barely keep my eyes open. And then I thought bingo. I don't know why, I just like it, the word, ya' know, bingo!

Jessica B. said...

I find the sound of a dentist drill to be quite calming and somniferous.

Unknown said...

Jessica, so then is the sound of your sister also somniferous? I would imagine they are of a similar timbre and volume.

Jessica B. said...

Mike, I think you're on to something. It's all becoming clear now.

Unknown said...

Hey, do we get nitrous if we visit Jessica's sister?